Wild Rice, Apple And Cranberry Stuffing
1. Bring water to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, then add rice and 1/2 tsp. salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender and most grains are split open, 1 to 1 1/4 hours (not all liquid will be absorbed). Drain well in a colander and spread out in a baking pan to cool completely.
2. Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
3. Spread bread cubes in a shallow baking pan and bake in upper third of oven until dry, about 20 minutes.
4. Melt 1 stick butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, then cook onion and celery, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring, until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in herbs, pepper and remaining teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with rice, bread, and dried cranberries.
5. Increase oven to 450 degrees and butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish (13x9).
6. Spread stuffing evenly in baking dish and drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter. Bake, covered tightly with foil, in upper third of oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is browned, 10 - 15 minutes more.
*Rice can be cooked 2 days ahead and cooled, uncovered, then chilled, covered.
- 4 Cups water
- 1 Cup wild rice
- 1 1/2 Tsp. kosher salt
- 6 Cups crusty white bread, cut 1/2" cubes, (1/2 lb)
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, plus 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 Cups onion, diced
- 2 Cups celery, diced
- 2 Cups apple diced
- 1/4 Cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 Tblsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 Tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tsp. seasoned pepper
- 1 Cup dried cranberries, (about 5 ounces)
- 1 Cup turkey stock or chicken broth