Mozzarella and Salami Chicken Roll-Ups
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Cover the bottom of the dish generously with sauce.
Pound out the chicken between saran wrap to an even 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Working one at a time place one ounce of salami on each chicken breast starting from the thinnest end and stopping an inch from the opposite end. Sprinkle 2 heaping tablespoons of mozzarella over top and then roll up starting from the thinnest end. Secure with a toothpick and place in pan.
Spoon sauce over top of each one and then pour any leftover sauce into bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining mozzarella.
Bake 45 minutes until bubbly all over. Remove the toothpicks for serving. Serve with pasta or rice.
- butter, for greasing pan
- 1 jar (28 ounces) of marinara sauce or 4 cups homemade
- 4 chicken cutlets or boneless chicken breasts
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 1 + 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- pasta, rice, polenta or a grain, for serving